Tuesday, January 30, 2007

This Just In... A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL

A couple weeks ago some friends asked me just what Klaus Kinski flicks I did not have at this point. While I can't be certain until I sit down and figure exactly what's what in terms of alternate titles, a rough review of his massive filmography made it seem like I'm missing somewhere around 50 or so films (I'll post a list of what I'm missing at a later date).

Thanks to yesterday's mail I can cross one more film from that list, the 1966 Spaghetti Western A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL. I saw the film, courtesy of NetFlix, a year or so ago during a Spaghetti Western phase I was going through for a game over at Eurotrash Paradise. At the time I found it too long (though I think that about most films) and predictable, but Klaus does have a healthy role in the flick and it features one of my all-time favorite Kinski Moments.

With enemies advancing on the fort he and his cohorts are occupying, Kinski – dressed in a monk's robe – stands atop a wall hurling grenades, all the while praying and punctuating his prayers with 'blams' from the explosives. Framed against the sky, his blue eyes blazing, it's a spectacular sequence and one that I'm not alone in appreciating.

Order A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL from amazon.com.

No comments: