Friday, August 31, 2007

Weird Coincidence with Jack the Ripper

How weird.

According to History.com, today marks the 119th anniversary of the murder of Whitechapel prostitute Mary Ann Nichols. Nichols was considered the first victim of the notorious Jack the Ripper, the sadistic serial killer who plagued London for several more months. The last Ripper victim, Mary Kelly, was killed on November 7th. No more murders were ever officially attributed to the killer and the case was closed – unsolved – several years later.

I say "weird" because of the movie that's supposed to arrive at my house later today courtesy of NetFlix – MURDER BY DECREE, Bob Clark's 1979 thriller starring Christopher Plummer as fictional detective Sherlock Holmes, hot on the trail of The Ripper.

Naturally, if we're talking about "Saucy Jack" (as he's referred to in THIS IS SPINAL TAP) I have to mention Jess Franco's JACK THE RIPPER starring the one and only Klaus Kinski. Here's my take from a fresh watch of the uncut director's version of the flick from last summer.

And while we're at it, don't forget that DECREE star Plummer appeared with Kinski in NOSFERATU IN VENICE, which I'll be reviewing soon now that I have an uncut, widescreen presentation of the flick to replace my 800th generation Greek subtitled, full frame VHS.

No comments: