Thursday, June 11, 2009

LateMag Picks Five Spags Not Directed by Leone

Lists, lists, lists, everybody has lists.

Earlier this week it was Nazi Flicks to See Before BASTERDS, now LateMag has a small (maybe too small) list of Five Spaghetti Westerns Not Directed by Sergio Leone.

You'll get no argument from me that THE GREAT SILENCE is "one of the greatest Spaghetti Westerns ever made". I love the stark, snowy setting, the mute hero, the cool gun, and especially one of Klaus Kinski's best ever performances as the aptly named psychotic bounty hunter Loco. If you're ever gonna be scared by a guy in a frilly girly shawl, this is the guy.

I don't agree with the final pick on the list (the much discussed and in my opinion highly overrated BULLET FOR THE GENERAL) or the author's dismissal of the entertaining BLACK KILLER as "low rent" but I guess we'll just have to wait for my list!

No comments: